The Rest of Our Hiking Pictures Can Be Found Here

Finding Trail Descriptions

So as not to repeat myself excessively, I am reducing the amount of description of trails that have already been posted. Please use the search function ( upper left) to find older posts which have more detailed trail descriptions and pictures. You can also use this to find specific hikes either by trail or mountain.



Click Pictures for a Larger View


Tuesday, July 26, 2016

7/25/16 Sears Island


Continues hot so, once more we headed for the cooler coast. We started for the west shore. Before we actually got there Kelley found some brackish water to get into. This is a stream that drains into the ocean at low tide and then fills up as the tide comes in. You can cross at low tide - at higher tides you are in water- the tide is approaching low here.


Wasn't a lot on the shore today - a sea plant


and a wildflower


Low tide


Beach art


 another shot of the shore


Before we turn inland on the Green Trail and encounter deer flies - not a lot but there had been none.


 But she did find some water in a small stream


We took the Homestead Trail across to the east shore and I thought we would follow it south for a bit but Kelley had had enough.


So she got in the water for a bit and we headed for the car.





Not a bad hike in spite of the deer flies. We met a few people and Kelley did well until she was ready to quit. 1  1/2 hours 

6 comments:

  1. Fun to see your coastline! Very different from Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not very representative- the island is in the back part of a bay - I have traveled down your coast and it is different

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to go to Maine. I think the coast called me from the Midwest. Thanks for showing me the parts I won't see for myself! Kelley always looks so happy when she's in water. I like the sea plant--we have similar ones here in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. As noted above this is not representative- there are lots of rugged parts and even a couple of sand beaches. Kelley does love the water

      Delete
  3. Seeing that sea plant gave me my "duh" moment--I bet you come across interesting things washed in. No treasure chests yet? LOL! That would be a good find indeed.
    Stay cool! And remember, summer ends in less than 6 weeks. That thought keeps me going!
    (Unless that blasted heat sticks around later than normal. Ugh. That's a bad though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment - this time there was little on the shore - it varies- I think a good storm helps - the island is at the back of a bay so not a lot of wave action. 91 here today and the National Weather Service is saying the whole country will have above average temps for next 30 days. Some Mainers go south in the winter I think it's time to go north in the summer 90 degrees today

      Delete

If you do not have a Google account the easiest way to post a comment is to use anonymous and then, if you wish, put your name in the body of your